Georgia has 40 soil and water conservation districts and 370 Soil and Water Conservation District Supervisors. Some districts include only one county, while other districts include two or more counties within their boundary. Each county in Georgia is represented by at least two district supervisors, one elected and one appointed. District supervisors are either elected for a four-year term or are appointed to a two-year term.
Click here for a list of the 2016 County Election Superintendents.
Steps to Becoming an Elected SWCD Supervisor.
District supervisor elections are non-partisan. Information for candidates on qualifications and disqualifications for holding elective office in Georgia is available from the Georgia Secretary of State.
If your county appears in the list of counties scheduled to hold an election for district supervisor and you are interested in becoming a candidate for a district supervisor position, we encourage you to complete the following steps:
2. Collect 25 signatures from qualified registered voters in your county
3. Turn in a completed petition to your local elections officials.
4. You are required to file a financial disclosure form (The Ethics in Government Act requires each person who qualifies as a candidate for election as a public officer to file a Personal Financial Disclosure Statement within 15 days of qualifying.)
5. If your petition is approved, your name will appear on the November ballot
6. The candidate with the highest number of votes will be declared the new district supervisor
7. A GSWCC Regional Representative will issue an 'Oath of Office' to the elected supervisor
Here is a FAQ-Sheet (pdf) that you can download and print.
Steps to Becoming an Appointed SWCD Supervisor. [Supervisors are appointed as vacancies occur during the calendar year.]
1. Obtain an appointment form from your GSWCC regional office, your local district, or the GSWCC website
2. Turn in a completed form to the Chair of your Soil and Water Conservation District Board
3. The elected supervisors of the district will review all forms and submit three candidate recommendations to the GSWCC State Board in order of priority
4. The GSWCC State Board will select one supervisor for appointment from the three district recommendations
5. A GSWCC Regional Representative will issue an 'Oath of Office' to the appointed supervisor
Related Files - Election Procedures and Requirements